Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Folly of Rewarding X While Hoping for Y

There is an economic theory that basically says we often don't get what we want from people because we reward X behavior when what we really want is Y. For example say you want high quality widgets. . .But what you pay your worker for is simply the number of widgets not the quality. So you basically get lots of poorly made widgets.

I have been giving this theory a great deal of thought lately. . .And have decided that perhaps this is what I have been doing in my dating life. I want a relationship with a stable rational individual (lets call this Y) but I have often settled for and rewarded something less (e.g. a relationship with someone who is more focused on achieving a high score on play station than on dating me). At the time I have fed myself all sorts of lines about well. . .Yes, but they are really smart and I have hobbies too, but eventually I come to realize my hopes of Y with this person were really unwise. So unlike so many other people. . .Who are dishonest about their own shortcomings (yes I do know I have shortcomings but that is a topic for a different blog). . .I have been dishonest with myself about the shortcomings of my potential partners and have largely only ended up with X (what I didn't want). So, I am trying an experiment . . .Being brutally honest and critical (quietly and to myself of course, there is no need to be cruel) of those I go out with. I suspect that at least being severely honest about the other person might be slightly more productive than the oblivious approach . . .Or perhaps I am still over reacting to my last foolishly undertaken relationship. . .time will tell.

1 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Weeble said...

This is a great strategy IMHO. It's not always easy to implement, but in the end, you will be better off. Time is precious. Why waste time with those that are not, in the end, what you are looking for? That way you are ready and available when the right person presents himself. So have fun in the meantime with others that like to do what you enjoy and see what happens!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home