Friday, December 22, 2006

The Unlikeliest Hero

So, I sit here in my Vegas apartment. . .still in pajamas after lunch time. I guess I am enjoying the freedom of my new life and taking a day off every once in a while. Yesterday, I was faced with one of the scariest things that can happen to you as an adult. I was faced with the mortality of two people I love very much. My grandfather and my mother were both in the hospital on the same day. I found my self completely lost, unable to work, scared, angry, and very sad. I called the "Nice Guy" at work. He talked me down well enough so that I could put on a brave face and go into work to meet with a very troublesome character.

The "Nice Guy" didn't simply pat me on the head and try to get me off the phone like so many other would have done. He put aside what he was doing and actually took the time to listen to what was going on. Even more surprising that night when I called him to apologize about interrupting his work day. Instead of agreeing with me that it was best not to call at when he was at work, he insisted that he was happy to hear from me whenever and that I shouldn't hesitate to call if I needed to talk. While, I am not much for over the top assertions this one seemed to hit the right note at the right moment. I am glad that on such a bad day I had such a "Nice Guy" to talk me through it.

5 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger Weeble said...

Nice. Plus points for the nice guy!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Weeble said...

P.S. Hope Mom and Grandpa are doing well now.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Katinka said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mum and grandpa being in hospital...I hope they are both ok? How are you doing?

ps(I'm glad you had someone nearby to help ease some of the burden of worry from your shoulders. Sounds like he has a good heart!:)

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger chronic singleton said...

Mom and Grandpa both recovering. Unfortunately didn't make for much of a holiday. Oh well. . .there is always next year.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger danielle217 said...

Glad to hear that everything is ok now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home