Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I'm Everyone's Favorite Project

So now that both of my sisters have gotten married and are now either mommy or mommy to be, all the attention seems to be on me. I have in the last several years gotten off pretty easy with my Mom protecting me from my relatives prying question, "So when are you going to get married?" Granted, her protection of me was all brought on by the seemingly endless onslaught of "So when are you going to get married?" questions at my sisters wedding. At one of the two events I actually counted and was asked 87 times. . .Really. But apparently now that I am finally finishing up school the gloves are off.

In the past couple of weeks I have had a new round of intrusions from family members including an unexpected intrusion by one of my sisters. Who not so politely explained to me. . ."Well no one is perfect J. . .you aren't perfect. So what if "insert guy's name here" wasn't perfect. You can't be single for ever." Really? Is there a law against it? I am not saying that is what I want but I also don't want to marry the first person who wants to marry me. If I did I am sure I could find some nice illegal immigrant to marry.

My "cool" grandmother also out of the blue sent me an email asking if she could give me email address to some random guy who came into her work who mentioned he would be moving to Las Vegas in December. Then when I saw her during my visit to see "Peanut", she spent the whole time giving me the hard sell on this guy! Really I don't have a hard time getting a date. . .I am just picky about who I let stick around.

Oh well . . . I guess my day of reckoning with my family's obsession with getting me happily married off has been coming for a while at least I was able to put it off while I got my degree.

3 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger danielle217 said...

Yes, we've reached that point in our lives where people have started encouraging us to "at least make an effort" to marry someone we're not particularly into. You know that I'd rather spend eternity single than 2 minutes with the wrong guy. I say give these people an imaginary "piss off" when they move in for the kill.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Weeble said...

Maybe it's time to make up the imaginary bf. Give him an exotic name like Rinaldo. Let everyone know he is a fantastic tango dancer and that he flair and confidence translates well to... well you know.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Katinka said...

LOL...good ideas. Chronic s. I feel your pain! I get "what's wrong with you", or the implications that I'm too picky. *rolling eyes*

Don't worry, it's better to be your own person now, than in a bad relationship just to satisfy other people's hopes for you. My strategy this year was to throw a mock wedding...it was hilarious and was a fun and effective way to address the unwanted pressure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home